A RARE OCCURRENCE OF CHOLECYSTOGASTRIC FISTULA MIMICKING PERFORATED PEPTIC ULCER SYMPTOMS
Cholecystogastric fistula is one of the rarest and most life-threatening complications of gallbladder stone disease. This disease can mimic other diseases, such as perforated peptic ulcers, and is too hard to be diagnosed preoperatively. This article presents a patient with cholecystogastric fistula presentation as a peptic ulcer disease. This article presents a 58-year-old man with the presentation of abdominal pain and acute cholecystitis symptoms mimicking perforated peptic ulcer during hospitalization. Clinical examination and imaging confirmed the diagnosis of peptic ulcer disease. Laparotomy revealed that the disease was a simultaneous gallbladder stone disease, which led to acute cholecystitis following cholecystogastric fistula. Cholecystogastric fistula should be considered a significant differential diagnosis in patients with abdominal pain and cholecystitis symptoms.
2. Massarrat S: Prevalence of gallstone disease in Iran. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2001, 16:564-567. DOI:10.1046/j.1440-1746.2001.02478.x
3. Gandhi D, Ojili V, Nepal P, et al.: A pictorial review of gall stones and its associated complications. Clin Imag. 2020, 60:228-236. DOI:10.1016/j.clinimag.2019.11.015
4. Ali MF, Friedel D, Levin G: Two Anomalies in One: A Rare Case of an Intrahepatic Gallbladder with a Cholecystogastric Fistula. Case Rep Gastroenterol. 2017, 21:148-154. DOI:10.1159/000462964
5. Duzgun AP, Ozmen MM, Ozer MV, Coskun F: Internal biliary fistula due to cholelithiasis: a single-centre experience. World J Gastroenterol. 2007, 13:4606-4609. DOI:10.3748/wjg.v13.i34.4606
6. Saeed M, Khan M, Bachan M, Khan Z: Cholecystogastric fistula: a rare complication of cholelithiasis/ascending cholangitis. Chest. 2019, 156:A2039-A2040. DOI:10.1016/j.chest.2019.08.1999
7. Li X, Zhao X, Zheng P, Kao X-M, Xiang X-S, Ji W: Laparoscopic management of cholecystoenteric fistula: A single-center experience. Journal of International Medical Research. 2017, 45:1090-1097. DOI:10.1177/0300060517699038
8. Boland MR, Bass GA, Robertson I, Walsh TN: Cholecystogastric fistula: a brief report and review of the literature. Journal of Surgical Case Reports. 2013, 28:1-3. DOI:10.1093/jscr/rjt028
9. Arioli D, Venturini I, Masetti M, et al.: Intermittent gastric outlet obstruction due to a gallstone migrated through a cholecysto-gastric fistula: a new variant of "Bouveret's syndrome". World J Gastroenterol. 2008, 7:125-128. DOI:10.3748/wjg.14.125
10. Tarasconi A, Coccolini F, Biffl WL, et al.: Perforated and bleeding peptic ulcer: WSES guidelines. World J Emerg Surg . 2020, 15:2020. DOI:10.1186/s13017-019-0283-9
Copyright (c) 2023 Romanian Journal of Emergency Surgery
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.