Traumatic penile fracture with bilateral corporeal rupture
A 24-year-old man with no urological history presented to the emergency room for rapid onset severe penile pain, tenderness, swelling, and ecchymosis during vaginal sexual intercourse. Clinical examination was suggestive of penile fracture with a high suspicion of bilateral corporeal involvement. Urethrography excluded an injury to the corpus spongiosum. Surgical exploration confirmed the bilateral laceration of the corpora and tunica albuginea which was repaired with absorbable sutures.
Penile fractures are true urological emergencies whose surgical treatment must not be delayed to prevent long-term sequelae. Bilateral corporal rupture represents only 2-10% percent of penile fractures and usually involves the urethra, especially when the lacerations are situated ventrally.
2. Jack GS, Garraway I, Reznichek R, Rajfer J. Current treatment options for penile fractures. Rev Urol, 6(3):114–20, 2004.
3. Mirzazadeh M, Fallahkarkan M, Hosseini J. Penile fracture epidemiology, diagnosis and management in Iran: A narrative review. Transl. Androl. Urol. 6(2):158–66, 2017.
4. Zargooshi J. Penile fracture in Kermanshah, Iran: Report of 172 cases. J Urol, 164(2):364–6, 2000.
5. Mahapatra RS, Kundu AK, Pal DK. Penile Fracture: Our Experience in a Tertiary Care Hospital. World J Mens Health, 33(2):95, 2015.
6. Hoag NA, Hennesse K, So A. Penile fracture with bilateral corporeal rupture and complete urethral disruption: Case report and literature review. J Can Urol Assoc, 5(2):E23, 2011.
7. Gupta N, Goyal P, Sharma K, et al. Penile fracture: Role of ultrasound. Transl Androl Urol, 6(3):580–4, 2017.
8. Eke N. Fracture of the penis. Br. J. Surg. 89(5):555–65, 2002.
9. Fetter TR, Gartman E. Traumatic rupture of penis*. Am J Surg, 32(2):371–80, 1935.
10. Summerton DJ, Campbell A, Minhas S, Ralph DJ. Reconstructive surgery in penile trauma and cancer. Nat. Clin. Pract. Urol. 2(8):391–7, 2005.
11. Gulmi FA. Penile Fracture NYU Case of the Month, Early February 2018 Evaluation at NYU Langone. Rev Urol, 20(1):41–2, 2018.
12. Kowalczyk J, Athens A, Grimaldi A. Penile fracture: an unusual presentation with lacerations of bilateral corpora cavernosa and partial disruption of the urethra. Urology, 44(4):599–601, 1994.
13. CUMMING J, JENKINS JD. Case Reports:Fracture of the Corpora Cavernosa and Urethral Rupture during Sexual Intercourse. Br J Urol, 67(3):327–327, 1991.
14. Fergany AF, Angermeier KW, Montague DK. Review of cleveland clinic experience with penile fracture. Urology, 54(2):352–5, 1999.
Copyright (c) 2021 Romanian Journal of Emergency Surgery
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.